1. Just a Girl - No Doubt 1995


Take this pink ribbon off my eyes 

I’m exposed and it’s no big surprise 

Don’t you think I know exactly where I stand 

This world is forcing me to hold your hand 


On the moring of 24 June 2010, having already dropped my gorgeous partner of the last nine or ten years off at work, I parked the car in my building’s car park and proceeded to the lift up to my floor. The lift ride inevitably involved awkward moments for any male unfortunate enough to be caught either in the vicinity of the lift or, worse still, within the lift, as they awkwardly scrambled to get out of my way in, what I am told, is a sign of respect for women, but really just comes across as if they think they are going to catch the plague off me.

Woops. There’s one at the door, and yes, this one is making sure that I don’t spread any of my germs by using his arm to ensure that the doors don’t touch me.

‘What responsibilities these men have!’ is what I typically think to myself in these situations.

Once at my desk without consciously infecting anyone, I start to sift through my emails, mainly work related of course, when I spied one that read

                         Oh my God! A woman! A woman is running the country!

             If I hadn’t known the email’s sender better, I could have interpreted it one of two ways, either pure shock and disgust, or pure shock and excitement. All I could think of to type in response to my friend was:

            Yes. Sisters are doing it for themselves!

Ten years on from Australia's first female PM, has the battle of the sexes been won yet? 

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg_blank 

 


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi All
    This is my first attempt at blogging. No, I am not a man hater. Neither am I a raging feminist. I just happen to have observed and experienced many differences in how women and men treat each other and themselves and decided to document it. I also happen to have a strong love of music, including many songs that have inspired me to start this blog.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

19. 9 to 5 – Dolly Parton 1980

5. What You Waiting For? – Gwen Stefani 2004