37. Respect – Aretha Franklin 1967

 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB
Oh (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me)
A little respect (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me)

 

Soooo, I’m up for jury duty soon.

‘How’s this relevant to a blog about women in the 2020s?’ you ask.

Well, once I received my notice from New South Wales Communities and Justice I thought something along the lines of

 

This will be a hassle.

 

Then my thoughts moved to

 

This could be interesting.

 

Finally I landed on

 

I might have been called up as a randomised representative of society, but they’re not going to pick me.

 

Why are they not going to pick me?

Well, I’m an educated female that is capable of thinking for herself. Solicitors, who are predominantly male, don’t want my type anywhere near their juries. Solicitors prefer the uneducated as they believe they can be more easily lead down a path of their choosing. They also prefer males as they can communicate with them man-to-man. There also appears to be a general perception that educated females are overly opinionated (Who, me? Nooo.).

So while I’m a randomised representative of the community, a select few are likely to effectively decide that I’m not worthy of representing the community as I’m likely to be a trouble-maker that they can’t relate to.

Even if I were to be selected as a juror, I’d wager cash on it that there will be a beyond middle-age white male that self-appoints as the head juror.

Don’t get me started on how warped this situation is when a large proportion of court cases are for crimes against women (rape, domestic violence, even break ins and thefts are largely targeted at women).

So Lady Justice may be blind, but the system she oversees is not showing women the R-E-S-P-E-C-T they deserve.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1. Just a Girl - No Doubt 1995

19. 9 to 5 – Dolly Parton 1980

5. What You Waiting For? – Gwen Stefani 2004